Friday, March 15, 2013

FO: Vanilla Orchid

The Vanilla Orchid was a knit-a-long in the Agnes Kutas Knitwear Group.  I honestly hadn't heard of the designer before, but I followed a link and was really impressed by her designs.  Unlike some of my other recent KALs, this was not a mystery pattern- The entire pattern and pictures of finished objects were available to see throughout the entire KAL.

I wanted a fairly neutral-colored shawl that would go with a lot of my wardrobe, so I decided to use a medium brown for the body and a cream color for the edging.  I chose Knitpicks Palette because it’s relatively cheap and comes in a ton of colors.  I also really appreciate the fact that Knitpicks writes detailed descriptions of each color, which makes online ordering so much easier.  The yarn that I ordered was exactly as I had envisioned it.

This was a really enjoyable knit.  I learned how to make small cables without a cable needle.  I love the leaves throughout the shawl and especially in the border.  I’m also very impressed by the stitch definition of the yarn.

I love this shawl.  I don’t know that I’d knit this particular shawl again (I’ve already done it once!), but I’d definitely knit more of this designer’s patterns.

Pattern: Vanilla Orchid
Yarn: Knitpicks Palette
Colorways: Bark, Oyster Heather
Needles: US6, US8

Want to see what everyone else has accomplished this week? Head on over to Tami's Amis FO Fridays!


  1. Very pretty. Love the brown color.

  2. Lovely shawls!

    Here's my FO: